In-Training for 2024 Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon
There's nothing quite like the marathon and half marathon. Endurance events for athletes who like to take on big challenges. Combine that with the energy and hospitality of a city like Atlanta and the result is a marathon and half marathon you don't want to miss. Whether you're stepping up to the marathon or half marathon distance for the first time, checking Atlanta off your marathon or half marathon bucket list, or taking on the four event challenge that is the Ultimate Peach Series, In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon will help you prepare for the 13.1 or 26.2 miles that are the 2024 Publix Atlanta Marathon Weekend.
The 2023-24 In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon Program features:
- Training grounded in science developed by Atlanta Track Club's High Performance Team
- In-Training Certified Coaches to coach and mentor you throughout your training
- In-person and virtual/remote training options
- Small group workouts throughout the city during the week and larger long workouts on Saturdays
- Course preview runs to prepare you for race day
- Online learning opportunities most Tuesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. led by Atlanta's running and walking experts including veteran coaches and racers, medical professionals, and elite athletes
- Customized training levels to meet your fitness and experience and prepare you for the Publix Atlanta Marathon or Half Marathon
- Daily text/email reminders of workouts powered by Final Surge
- Online platforms to build community and camaraderie
- In-Training shirt (only virtual participant shirts will be mailed)
This training program accommodates both advanced and beginner athletes. For those attempting the distance for the first time, we recommend that marathon participants have consistently been training 15 or more miles total per week and recently completed a long workout of at least 9-10 miles. We recommend that first time half marathon participants have been consistently training 10 or more miles total per week and recently completed a long workout of 4 miles or more.
In-Training for Publix Atlanta Marathon and Half Marathon can be completed virtually/remotely or a participant may join the in-person, midweek, small group workouts and Saturday long workouts. In-person sessions begin Wednesday, January 3rd for midweek workouts and Saturday, January 6th for long workouts.
In some cases, the program may be shortened for late registrants. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in training with Atlanta Track Club but need to reduce the length of the program.
Note: This In-Training program does not include entry into the Publix Atlanta Marathon or Half Marathon.
- Marathon - 26.2 miles
- Half Marathon - 13.1 miles
- $145 - In-Person athlete
- $130 - Virtual/remote athlete
- $135 - In-Person athlete
- $120 - Virtual/remote athlete
Late September 2023
Marathon orientation - online at 7:00 p.m.
Marathon training begins
Half Marathon orientation - online at 7:00 p.m.
Half Marathon training begins, Marathon registration closes
Half Marathon registration closes
In-person midweek workouts begin
In-person long workouts begin
Course preview field trip, location TBD
Course preview field trip, location TBD
Saturday Workout Location:
- Atlanta Track Club Headquarters, 201 Armour Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30324 - 7:15 a.m.
- Two course preview field trips, locations TDB - 7:15 a.m.
Wednesday Midweek Workout Locations:
In-person participants select one location during registration.
- Agnes Scott College Track, South McDonough Street, Decatur, GA 30030 - 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Cheney Stadium with Coach Bob, 741 Connally Street SE, Atlanta, GA 30315 - 6:15 a.m.
- Peachtree Middle School Track, 4664 North Peachtree Road, Atlanta, GA 30338 - 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Piedmont Park with Coach Bob, Dockside (or Active Oval), Atlanta, GA 30309 - 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Riverside Park, 575 Riverside Road, Roswell, GA 30075 - 6:15 a.m.
Locations subject to change based on demand and participation.
- In-person athlete - $145.00
- Virtual/remote athlete - $130.00
- In-person athlete - $135.00
- Virtual/remote athlete - $120.00
- This training program does not include entry into the Publix Atlanta Marathon or Publix Atlanta Half Marathon.
NEW IN-TRAINING REFUND POLICY
In-Training registration is non-refundable unless you purchase Refundable Protection when you register for In-Training. If purchased and you're unable to start the training program for one of the covered reasons, Refundable Protection enables you to receive a 100% refund of your registration fee (minus processing fees and donations) within 10 business days of submitting a claim. Please read and learn what specific events are covered by Refundable Protection here.
Note: Refundable Protection is only applicable if the qualifying event (illness, injury, etc.) occurs before the first day of training. If the qualifying event happens on or after the first day of training, the athlete is not eligible for a refund. The first day of training is the Training begins date under Program Schedule above; not the first in-person practice.
We will kickoff the program with a 60 minute online orientation in which Coach Bob will provide an overview of the program, explain Final Surge and its benefits, and answer your training questions.
- Marathon orientation - Sunday, November 19, 2023, 7:00 p.m. via Zoom
- Half marathon orientation - Sunday, December 3, 2023, 7:00 p.m. via Zoom
Bob Wells, Manager & Coach - In-Training, Atlanta Track Club
In-Training Certified Coaches and Run Leads
Eric Heintz, Director - High Performance, Atlanta Track Club
Become A Member
Did you know as a member of Atlanta Track Club you receive a discount on all events and programs including In-Training. Join today to begin receiving discounts and the many other benefits of membership!
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not technologically savvy. Will I be trained on how to use all of the digital tools in the program?
Yes! Orientation, online videos, downloadable documents, and more will take you through the process step-by-step to maximize your experience.
Customization and Coaching
What do you mean by customized or individualized coaching?
The program offers a variety of training levels based on mileage, experience, and goals. The program also provides the tools to customize your paces for easy runs and walks in addition to harder workouts such as tempos and speedwork. Participants have the ability to move training days based on their work and life schedules. While a certified coach will look after your training and keep you accountable, it is not a one-on-one coaching program with unlimited access to the coach.
Are there opportunities for interactions with coaches?
Yes! Tuesday evenings often feature online education sessions including opportunities for questions and answers. Coaches and Run Leads, experienced volunteers who assist with the program, are also present at midweek workout locations for in-person conversations. Finally, there are plenty of opportunities at the Saturday long workouts to talk with coaches or Run Leads. Your coach will also be available through email and in certain circumstances by phone.
Will I be able to schedule weekly one-on-one calls with my coach?
Yes! Athletes have the opportunity to schedule 15-20 minute 1:1 meetings with Coach Bob to review and discuss their training.
Are group interval/speedwork sessions included with this program?
Yes! The in-person program features group workouts at various locations throughout the city.
Are supported, group long workouts sponsored by Atlanta Track Club included with this program?
Yes! The in-person program features supported long runs and workouts.